Graphics by Jen Hageman. Photo by Liz Leisure.

Thanks girls!!

Saturday, October 15, 2011

We are home!

Ha! 10-14 days! I knew I would recover quicker than that! So we came home on day 8. Great to be home! Sure is cold out though. We got in at 11:30 Friday night. Gary's Mom picked us up at the airport. We had a layover this time at Reagan in DC. It's hard to get a good flight on such short notice. CTCA won't make your flight arrangements until you have been released from the hosp which all happens quite quickly.

My hospital stay was mostly uneventful except for Monday & Tuesday when they let me overmedicate myself. :( I had a PCA (patient controlled anagesia) pump that I could push when I had pain. The first few days I was really in a lot of pain so I pushed it! Uh yeh, 200 times the first night! Anyways, they didn't decrease the amount quick enough and I got really looped! THAT was weird! They had me 1 on 1 with an aide for 3 days. She was trying to keep me occupied with things like folding papers, cleaning my closet out, etc. I just know I felt like I had some really weird dreams and I was all mixed up! Thank goodness for Gary. He had to tell them what was going on and that I needed my meds reduced. He saved me. lol. So, if I talked to you or texted you during that time, please disregard what I said. lol.

I am just relaxing around the house since getting home. Went to see my Mom on Sat & Sun. She seems to be more alert than before I left. Still confused quite a bit but overall seems better. She has an oncology appt this week to see what to do from here. She had 2 days of chemo while I was gone but there is nothing further planned.

I have been eating again and everything is working well now. I have had hambugers, fried potatoes, donuts, fruit, nuts, cheese & crackers, salad, nachos and lots of other things. I am trying to eat in small amounts as my colon isn't quite used to digesting all this food yet.

I'm soooo happy!!

I go back Thursday, Oct 27th to CTCA to get my 20 abdominal sutures out and to follow up with my surgeon and oncologist. I have to get back to chemo soon to keep this monster from growing also!


Donna said...

Sooo glad things are going well for you and that you are on a good path! Praying for your mom too.

It's 2010! Time to Reflect...

Almost 18 months long will it last? Such an aggressive cancer, this damn Leiomyosarcoma! Every CT/MRI I have had since my completion of radiation in August 2008 was VERY stressful. Even when I didn't realize it, "SCAN"XIETY loomed in the back of head. Knowing that I had a 50% chance of the cancer returning. Wondering if NOT having chemo back then was the right path. Since my doc's hadn't dealt with many sarcomas, did they really know the BEST treatments?
The last year and half has brought me so much joy and contentment. To be a GRANDMA! Wow. I love it! To become so much closer to my family. My sis is my best friend now! My husband and I couldn't be any closer. I get to see my daughter and her family every week when I go to babysit my little Maxton. My stepdaughter moved in with our youngest grandson, Marcus, for 6 months. He is a little angel. My Mom has been so much help to me through all my health issues. My stepdad and I have become closer than I ever thought possible. He has been down the cancer road as well. My Mother-in-law has moved closer to us and our relationship has grown. And then I began working at Samaritan and have some wonderful friends! I love that place so much! It's worth the 45 minute drive.

And I know how to live the seat of my pants! :)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a beer (or tequila) in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming "woo hoo, what a ride"