Graphics by Jen Hageman. Photo by Liz Leisure.

Thanks girls!!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mom's Doctor Visit

Mom hasn't been feeling the best lately. She has had right-sided abdominal pain again and has been vomiting for a few days. She went to see Dr. Ursachi today. He said the CT from 2 weeks ago didn't show anything new in her abdomen but her liver tumors have grown. She will have an ultrasound done this Friday and an MRI Sept 12th. And will see Dr. Ghaney in a few weeks to see where to go from here. Possibly more chemo! Uggggg, she's been so weak I hate to see what the chemo will do to her. Then today, she had lab done- specifically her liver enzymes and urine tested. Her urine is looking more orange now. She still gets confused easily and has trouble remembering things. I don't know if he tested her ammonia levels but he did start her on Lactulose which will help with her constipation and may help the confusion if her ammonia level is high. Her blood sugars have been good so he d/c'd her metformin which is for blood sugar.

That's about all we did today. We went to lunch after and she was a little tearful about the progression of her tumors and possible need for chemo again. I now have her calling me every day when she gets up and before bed at night. There have been many times when she doesn't answer her phone and she has trouble retrieving her messages on it. On Saturday, I called her 6 times with no answer...so I went over there and she was just fine. Her phone was on vibrate all day and she didn't know how it got there.

Well, that's the update. Please stop in anytime to see Mom. She still gets very lonely and wants lots of company. She'll even take you out to eat!! :)


0 comments:

It's 2010! Time to Reflect...

Almost 18 months cancer-free...how long will it last? Such an aggressive cancer, this damn Leiomyosarcoma! Every CT/MRI I have had since my completion of radiation in August 2008 was VERY stressful. Even when I didn't realize it, "SCAN"XIETY loomed in the back of head. Knowing that I had a 50% chance of the cancer returning. Wondering if NOT having chemo back then was the right path. Since my doc's hadn't dealt with many sarcomas, did they really know the BEST treatments?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The last year and half has brought me so much joy and contentment. To be a GRANDMA! Wow. I love it! To become so much closer to my family. My sis is my best friend now! My husband and I couldn't be any closer. I get to see my daughter and her family every week when I go to babysit my little Maxton. My stepdaughter moved in with our youngest grandson, Marcus, for 6 months. He is a little angel. My Mom has been so much help to me through all my health issues. My stepdad and I have become closer than I ever thought possible. He has been down the cancer road as well. My Mother-in-law has moved closer to us and our relationship has grown. And then I began working at Samaritan and have some wonderful friends! I love that place so much! It's worth the 45 minute drive.

I HAVE A WONDERFUL LIFE!
And I know how to live it...by the seat of my pants! :)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a beer (or tequila) in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming "woo hoo, what a ride"

**HEY! DON'T FORGET TO GO TO "OLDER POSTS" JUST ABOVE THIS ON THE RIGHT. LOTS OF COOL INFO THERE TOO! YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS ME WITH TIM MCGRAW!