Graphics by Jen Hageman. Photo by Liz Leisure.

Thanks girls!!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Update: Surgery?

This hospital visit I was admited from Sept 6th to the 14th. My PET scan showed some growth of my pelvic tumor. My doc's basically left it up to me...More chemo right now or surgery to fix my bowel obstructions. I WANT TO EAT AGAIN!! So I picked surgery.

I was initially told I would get to have surgery this week but I had chills on the 2nd night I was there and the blood cultures they did showed infection. They thought that my Hickman (central IV line) was the culprit so they took that out. However, the catheter tip didn't show anything later. We never did figure out where the infection originated. I then had a new line put in. A PICC line in my right upper inner arm. It's a bit harder for me to reach so I have Gary put extension tubing on before he leaves for the day.

Everytime I have a hospital stay they have my IV cranked up to flush my kidneys because my creatnine is usually high. This time after the 4th day I finally talked them into decreasing my IV rate because I had gained 27 #. I couldn't even get my shoes on! Now, I know they added more fats to my TPN but not enough for me to gain that much! Gesh! The swelling finally went away after I was home for 9 days.

I also had to get blood when I was in. My Hgb was 7.6. It takes so long for them to get the blood ready and give it @ CTCA. Seems like an ALL DAY process with them. However, some of it is because my blood now has cold aggluants so it has to be given through a warmer or left at room temp for awhile.

Laci flew out with me on the 6th. We had thought we would probably just have office visits with my docs but when they ended up admiting me Laci couldn't stay. Matt (her husband) was graduating from college on Friday 9th and it was also her youngest son's birthday. So she flew home on Thursday night. Then when we thought I was going to have surgery, I had Gary come out on the Monday 12th. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the blood infection & that the surgery was postponed until he was in the air. Ugggggg....that sucked!!

So now the plan is to wait until my blood cultures come back negative and then schedule surgery. I'm so excited that it won't be long now. Hummmm, what shall I eat first?


It's 2010! Time to Reflect...

Almost 18 months long will it last? Such an aggressive cancer, this damn Leiomyosarcoma! Every CT/MRI I have had since my completion of radiation in August 2008 was VERY stressful. Even when I didn't realize it, "SCAN"XIETY loomed in the back of head. Knowing that I had a 50% chance of the cancer returning. Wondering if NOT having chemo back then was the right path. Since my doc's hadn't dealt with many sarcomas, did they really know the BEST treatments?
The last year and half has brought me so much joy and contentment. To be a GRANDMA! Wow. I love it! To become so much closer to my family. My sis is my best friend now! My husband and I couldn't be any closer. I get to see my daughter and her family every week when I go to babysit my little Maxton. My stepdaughter moved in with our youngest grandson, Marcus, for 6 months. He is a little angel. My Mom has been so much help to me through all my health issues. My stepdad and I have become closer than I ever thought possible. He has been down the cancer road as well. My Mother-in-law has moved closer to us and our relationship has grown. And then I began working at Samaritan and have some wonderful friends! I love that place so much! It's worth the 45 minute drive.

And I know how to live the seat of my pants! :)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a beer (or tequila) in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming "woo hoo, what a ride"