Graphics by Jen Hageman. Photo by Liz Leisure.

Thanks girls!!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My latest Philly visit

Gary & I were able to fly to Philly this time. Wow, much better than driving!!! We were there from Thursday 11th to Monday 15th. I was admitted for my chemo again since I had side effects the first time around. And again, I had side effects. I was extremely shakey and jerky the first day and very weak also. I ended up falling down in the bathroom that day. I guess they shouldn't have let go of me since I was so weak. My knees completely gave out on me! Just a couple small bruises, no big deal. My weight on the day I got released was 152#. Wow! I was just 129#! What the heck? :( It was all fluids...I have so much edema in my lower body.

I spoke with my Oncologist & Surgeon during this visit. They were both very optimistic. I have been having less pain at my sacral tumor area so they were taking that as a positive sign. On my next visit in 4 weeks I will have a PET scan to see what my tumors were up to. If they stay the same or slightly grow than my surgeon said he would seriously think about doing surgery to relieve my bowel obstruction. He couldn't say what he would do with the tumors until he got in there. However, if the tumors shrink (WHICH WOULD BE FANTASTIC!!) he would not want to interrupt my chemo to do surgery. So, we shall see...

By Sunday, I was feeling good enough to be discharged but Philly airport had no flights out due to all the rain they had gotten. So we stayed one more night. On Monday we were ready to leave but found that the hospital pharmacy had thrown out my diluadid bag. They always put me on their PCA pain pump so I send my pump & bag to the pharm just to be held!!! But they decided to throw it out this time. So we had to wait for the home care pharmacy to make me a new bag and then deliver it to the hospital. Waiting, waiting, waiting...
Then when we got to the airport our flight was delayed due to the plane not coming in on time from another city. After a couple hours we did get on the plane only to have a another delay because a man was ill. It took over 45 mins to get him off the plane. Then we thought we were ready...Gary looked out on the tarmack and there were about 14 planes ahead of us...oh my, will we EVER get home? hehee. We did! We arrived in Columbus around 8pm. Were supposed to get in by 5pm. Well, it could have been worse I guess!!!

Also, my hair is completely falling out again so Gary shaved my head when we got home Monday. Burrrr...it's chilly up there! Hehehe

My next Philly appt will be Tuesday, Sept 6th. I think Laci may go with me this time. :)

1 comments:

Donna said...

Sounds like everything is going the right way, Linda!! I am in constant awe of your spunkiness!! Enjoy those cute grandkiddos between trips to Philly!!

It's 2010! Time to Reflect...

Almost 18 months cancer-free...how long will it last? Such an aggressive cancer, this damn Leiomyosarcoma! Every CT/MRI I have had since my completion of radiation in August 2008 was VERY stressful. Even when I didn't realize it, "SCAN"XIETY loomed in the back of head. Knowing that I had a 50% chance of the cancer returning. Wondering if NOT having chemo back then was the right path. Since my doc's hadn't dealt with many sarcomas, did they really know the BEST treatments?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The last year and half has brought me so much joy and contentment. To be a GRANDMA! Wow. I love it! To become so much closer to my family. My sis is my best friend now! My husband and I couldn't be any closer. I get to see my daughter and her family every week when I go to babysit my little Maxton. My stepdaughter moved in with our youngest grandson, Marcus, for 6 months. He is a little angel. My Mom has been so much help to me through all my health issues. My stepdad and I have become closer than I ever thought possible. He has been down the cancer road as well. My Mother-in-law has moved closer to us and our relationship has grown. And then I began working at Samaritan and have some wonderful friends! I love that place so much! It's worth the 45 minute drive.

I HAVE A WONDERFUL LIFE!
And I know how to live it...by the seat of my pants! :)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a beer (or tequila) in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming "woo hoo, what a ride"

**HEY! DON'T FORGET TO GO TO "OLDER POSTS" JUST ABOVE THIS ON THE RIGHT. LOTS OF COOL INFO THERE TOO! YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS ME WITH TIM MCGRAW!